By David L. Andrews,Ben Carrington
- Positions game as an important topic for severe research, as the most major kinds of renowned culture
- Includes either famous social and cultural theorists whose paintings lends itself to an interrogation of game, and prime theorists of game itself
- Offers a complete exam of recreation as a social and cultural perform and institution
- Explores recreation when it comes to modernity, postcolonial conception, gender, violence, race, incapacity and politics
Read or Download A Companion to Sport (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) PDF
Best popular culture books
Paul Simon is often stated to be some of the most profitable singer-songwriters of the pop-rock period. His paintings has flourished within the context of Simon and Garfunkel in addition to in his personal solo profession. beginning with the folk-rock sort that marked his earliest major good fortune, he has drawn on a large choice of impacts, together with many American traditions and, later, many foreign ones to boot.
Overlaying all areas of Italy―from Turin's Palace of work in northern Italy to the Monreale Cathedral and Cloister in Sicily―and all sessions of Italian architecture―from the first-century Colosseum in Rome to the Casa Rustica flats inbuilt Milan within the 1930s―this quantity examines over 70 of Italy's most vital architectural landmarks.
Often stated because the preeminent collecting of baseball students, the once a year Cooperstown Symposium on Baseball and American tradition has made major contributions to baseball examine and pedagogy. This selection of 17 new essays is chosen from the nearly a hundred displays of the 2013 and the 2014 symposia, masking themes whose significance extends past the ballpark.
Soccer is the most well-liked activity on the planet. Globalisation and commercialisation of the sport, in spite of the fact that, have created new conflicts and demanding situations. This ebook explores the function of the Asian soccer Confederation (AFC) in the emerging importance of soccer in Asia, drawing on 3 key theoretical views: globalisation, neo-institutionalism and governance, in addition to finished facts from interviews and archive fabric.
- Knowledge and Social Structure (RLE Social Theory): An Introduction to the Classical Argument in the Sociology of Knowledge: Volume 36 (Routledge Library Editions: Social Theory)
- Thinking with Water
- Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame: The Rise of a Pop Star in an Age of Celebrity
- The Experience of Suburban Modernity: How Private Transport Changed Interwar London (Studies in Popular Culture MUP)
- Compression Garments in Sports: Athletic Performance and Recovery
- Spuren der Anerkennung: Studien zu einer sozial- und erziehungswissenschaftlichen Kategorie (German Edition)
Extra info for A Companion to Sport (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies)
A Companion to Sport (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) by David L. Andrews,Ben Carrington